Tuesday, November 30, 2010

32 Days of December

I don't have a thousand Facebook Friends. My Blog is followed by a whopping 6 readers. Unless I go to the grocery store, I only see approximately 10 people a day. The life of a Stay-at-home-Mommy/Work-at-home-Auntie is not exactly what one would call "social". But I do have access to millions of trillions of people via the wonderful World Wide Web! I can post something on my blog or Facebook and ask my very sweet  "friends/followers" to repost, and they can ask their friends to do the same. Then, awareness can be raised that might not have been. And it all starts with one. One person can do one facebook post, or send one email, or click the donate button and give one dollar.

My sister was on her way out this morning after dropping off her youngest to me for the day, when she mentioned reading about an orphan named Cliff right now sitting in a government orphanage in Europe. He has Down Syndrome and there is a fundraiser being done to help whomever might decide to adopt him with the fees that go along with that enormous and selfless decision. After reading about it myself, I immediately posted a Facebook status with the link to Make Christmas Count for Cliff (see: button on my sidebar) so that my loving friends could repost, and raise awareness and maybe send some more donations his way.

And so starts my 32 Days of December Service project. My blog may not be one where you can come to be entertained, or even to be educated. But you can come and read what goes through my mind as I sit and let my fingers drift over the keyboard. And now they're directed at a purpose, to enlighten. I want to spend every single day in December in service. It may come in the form of donating blankets, canned goods or clothes to the local shelters in my area. Or helping a senior citizen load groceries into their car after their shopping trip at the store. But I will admit, most of my service will come in the form of finding worthy causes on the net and spreading the word about them. Raising awareness. Not just raising funds for all these things, though that is a goal as well.

As it is, I stand at my kitchen counter right now typing this up on my laptop as my nephew and son finish up their Chicken Nugget, fruit and milk lunch. My hands are busied most of the day with the loving task of changing diapers, wiping noses, kissing boo boos, reading books (over and over and over...) and putting babies down for naps. I wouldn't trade that for all of the money in the world. But, it does leave little time to do much else (including but not limited to: bathing, brushing my hair and putting on make-up or even matching clothing) I would love to find the hours in the day to create a lasting Memory book for my son - complete with stickers and hand written captions that detail every single action in every single picture; or to even go volunteer at the DFW Pug Rescue to help abandoned and abused Pugs to find loving homes. Maybe someday in the not too distant future, I will find some time to Martha Stewart my way through planting my very own vegetable garden and compost bin. But that day is not today.

This is what I am able to do with the time I have... right now. I'm setting no rules, I feel like that might limit me. I am going to strive to do this every.single.day. for 32 days (starting today). If you have a link to provide or a worthy cause to consider, I'm all ears. I will be either blogging or facebook posting, or both about my findings and actions.

Comments are more than welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post!!! I bet with everyone passing the link around, Cliff has much better chance of having some answered prayers in 2011. Thank you for sharing his story too.

    ReplyDelete