Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 3: Whats warm, snorts and has a curly tail?

An orange tabby cat named Milo and a fawn pug named Otis pawed their way into my heart when I was about 5 years old. The furry stars of the Japanese-made film won over many a child's heart in America. My Mom bought the VHS for me as a Christmas gift the year it debuted and that was about the time that my unabashed love for Pugs began.

Something about the bug eyes, wet nose and curly tail of a Pug just totally melts my heart! Many members of my family are/have been Pug owners. Currently, my great aunt, second cousin and sister all have pups from the same mommy pug. My mom and dad adopted Ousier Boudreaux the Pug when I was in junior high. (yes, they named her after Shirley MacLaine's character in Steel Magnolias) She was a BEAUTIFUL tiny fawn female pug with a heart of pure gold. Oh, how my mother adored that dog. And my crazy fawn girl, Bridget, was rescued from a rather unsanitary home in a chicken cage in September of 2007. "Pidgie" as I called her, held fast to my side through some of my most trying moments while trying to conceive. Sadly, she passed away in March of 2009 when I was 7 months pregnant with my son. I still miss her...

So its no question that the DFW Pug Rescue is so near and dear to my heart. They take abandoned and/or abused pugs and find foster homes for them until they are placed with a "forever family". The Rescue's "no pug left behind" slogan really, truly describes their practices. Be it old, sick, blind, deaf --- no pug is denied.
"We rescue ALL pugs regardless of age or medical condition. Since we rescue ALL pugs, our veterinary care is our biggest on-going expense and we average approximately $150,000 a year in veterinary expenses. This amount is after our veterinary care clinics provide deep discounts. 100% of all funds donated to DFW Pug Rescue are used to pay for Veterinary care."
Pugs really aren't "just dogs". They actually rank among the most demanding breed to care for. The folds in their faces need to be minded and kept clean. They are VERY prone to scratching their cornea's and needing eye surgeries (due to the bulging way their eyes are set). Some can have awful skin allergies, and do not tolerate heat and cold. This is probably a large contributing factor to why there is a need for such rescue.

But a pug's heart is just as big as their attitude! They are great family dogs; almost always aim to please and are ready to play at the drop of a hat. Most L.O.V.E. to cuddle and make great compaions.

My husband and I are currently parents to 3 "furbabies" -- 2 chihuahuas and a shephard mix. He sometimes pulls up the pugs available for adoption on the website and asks if I'm ready to be a Pug mama again. The ache in my chest for Bridget has yet to heal, and I know we are far too busy with our toddler and 3 poochies to be ready to welcome another couch Pugtato into our home and hearts.

If you find yourself just absolutely unable to pinch the pennies any tighter this holiday season, perhaps you can dig elsewhere to find something to donate? Most rescues and animal shelters will take blankets, towels, bowls and even some kitchen gadgets! Do your spring cleaning a little early and see if you might be able to help our 4 legged (and maybe even some 3 legged) friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment